This week I remembered the importance of letting the Spirit guide, whether it be in studying, teaching, or deciding where to go. If I were to describe all of the experiences I had this week, you would be reading this letter until next week's letter arrives.
For example, a young man who's family members are members of the Church would listen to us on his doorstep, but never seemed interested in what we had to say. This week, I felt prompted to ask him if he'd ever wondered where we go after death. His face immediately lit up and he said, "Yeah! Actually, I asked myself that yesterday when I found old pictures of my father on Facebook. My dad passed away two years ago and I cry when I remember him. What happens after death?" Right then and there we layed out the Plan of Salvation for him and he soaked it all up. Often, people don´t take quite so much interest in the Plan when we mention it--or they say that they already know the answers--but I know that in this moment with Elvis the Spirit was testifying to him of the truthfulness of our words. He WILL see his father again. :) The Gospel, the Plan, is REAL, not just a good theory. It's true, and there are so many people who need to know about it!
I went to Trinidad with Hna. Taylor. I love going on exchanges with her because her postive attitude and enthusiasm for the work always inspire me. Her motto is: "We're going to see miracles!" There, their work with the members is impressive--in just one day we accomplished three of the four lessons that were planned! Their area is an example for ME. In my sector we've gone way down in lessons with members, due to my own doubts or forgetfulness I'm sure....I know we need to lengthen our stride. I'm doing my best, despite apparent opposition and afflictions, and I'm trying not to be too hard on myself. This week Alma 34:40-41 helped me get through:
"40 And now my beloved brethren, I would exhort you to have patience, and that ye bear with all manner of afflictions; that ye do not revile against those who do cast you out because of your exceeding poverty, lest ye become sinners like unto them;
41 But that ye have apatience, and bear with those afflictions, with a firm hope that ye shall one day rest from all your afflictions."
...The beauty of this week's challenges was what I learned from them. There's not a fix-it-all-immediately solution to our struggles. (Though reading the scriptures and praying help a ton!). Although I felt great reading Alma 34, it didn't completely wipe away the difficulties, I'm certain that it gave me strength to push on. Despite doubts, frustrations, impatience, and stomachaches, something kept me going. And that something is the enabling power of Christ's Atonement (Mosiah 24). Thus, the sorrow of my tribulation was swallowed up in the joy of the Son.:)
Keep on keepin on!
Sister Sharp
No comments:
Post a Comment