Chilenos say "po" like it means something, but it has no definition. "Si-po," they say, instead of something like "you know it" or "duh" or "yeah." So I went to my first baptism, don´t you know it!
But I cannot tell a lie; this baptism was not one of my investigators (of the which we have two and two halfsies.) Poor Hna. Camargo was pulled out of her previous area in the middle of the transfer order to be my companion when her long-time investigator had a date to be baptized. The baptism date was set for yesterday. And so our kind President Wright gave us special permision to travel forty minutes south and attend Cristian´s baptism. Field-trip! Never before had I traveled by subway; I realized just how varied, unique, and complex Heavenly Father´s children are. The subturranean train was filled with Chilenos of the same skin color but a rainbow of personalities. To see diversity in movies (because there isn´t a whole lot in Utah) is not the same as seeing it in the eyes of the people surrounding you. And to only guess the stuggles, pains, and afflictions behind the eyes of those who have not heard the good news of the gospel is kind of crushing. How grateful I am for this universal, all-encopassing, eternal gospel of Jesus Christ that brings relief to my soul and to all those who are willing to receive it.
...Yet I did not open my mouth to share it. Knocking doors is easier than trying to take on a train. The courage required to do so is something I´m working towards.
When President Wright spoke the words of the baptismal prayer, the Spirit moved me to tears. I´m so grateful I was able to experience a baptism so early in my mission, for it gave me a better view of what I´m working towards and what I´m inviting people to do.
After the baptism, the family invited us to almorzar (have lunch) with them in their house upon the hill. Wow-view-of-all-of-gigantic-city. Imagine the Salt Lake valley, bigger, with taller buildings scattered throughout, all in one Santiago. And the tallest building in Chile, towering almost over the mountain it seemed. (Can´t picture it? I do believe the vista is google-able).
Almuerzo is the biggest meal of the day. And when I say big, I mean big. Sometimes we eat with the members of the ward, and they serve us plates of salad, pasta, bread, meat, vegetables, and tacos fit for two or three people. And then they bring out dessert! Although it´s nearly impossible to keep a normal diet, I´m grateful that I am in a walking mission, and that I inherited a fast-metabolism. :) It´s tasty, "rico," food though. Their ice cream is creamier and tomatoes fresher.
We walked and walked this week. Taught my first, real, non-member lesson to a cute 10 year old named Nacha. Her grandma is a convert and we gave Nacha a BoM in picture form to help her understand it. Her smile during the short lesson was contagious and inspiring. Later in the week, we found a woman named Maria Angelica, who said she believed in God but not religion. She let us in, and I prayed silently with all the faith I could muster because I was afraid to break the fragile confidence we had gained with Maria. As she silently looked through the pamphlet of the Restauration, the Spirit weighed on our shoulders like a pound of feathers. Heavily, heavenly, powerful. Then, with a different light in her one eye, she invited us to return the following week and teach her more. (Wow! The blessing after the trail of our faith!)
Now, tonight, we have a lesson with a family who was referred to us by the first counselor in the bishopric. We´re ecstatic, hoping to baptize the entire family. I´m realizing really how important members are in this great work. I invite--plead, even--each of you to search, ponder, and pray for someone who you can refer to the missionaries. If you´re scared, pray for courage (just as I am doing in order to be able to talk to people on the bus or the street). If you don´t know how to share the gospel, go to lds.org or read parts of Preach My Gospel. Or ask the missionaries in your ward: they can help you! :) You have been blessed by this gospel, think about it. Wouldn´t you want your friends to share this joy and understanding with you if you didn´t have it? Every member a missionary :)I promise Heavenly Father will guide you and bless you as you share the gospel.
Remember this Easter that, truly, Christ has risen.
Love,
Hermana Sharp
P.S. It´s my cumple-mes this Wednesday! Like a birthday, but it happens each month on the day that you entered the MTC. CAn´t believe I´ve been Hermana Sharp for a month already. Also, Chilenos have difficulties saying the "sh" sound, so many call me Hermana Charp. Or those who know a little English are careful not to say Hermana Shark. Haha. No matter how they say my name though, they all know that I´m from the "factory"; that I´m "of the fábrica," even Salt Lake the center of Mormonism.
P.P.S. Friends, family: Email me at mindee.sharp(at)myldsmail.net, please! I want to write you, but I don't have addresses or email addresses. Mucha' gracia':)
P.P.P.S. Happy Birthday to all those who have birthdays, and thank you for the letters I received in the MTC!
PPPPS. I´ll stop writing soon. I just wanted to say this to my friends who have their mission calls. As Hermana Skabelund says, "Remember that you didn´t put a P.S. on your mission papers. Remember that you signed up for all the walking, the talking, the studying, the rules, and the responsibilities. Give all you have to the Lord, without complaint, and He will bless you with joy no matter what comes."
No comments:
Post a Comment