I went to the Otorrinolaringologo (the ear, nose, and throat doctor--it took me ten minutes to be able to pronounce it!) to test my hearing...and he said it was fine. Normal. Nothing wrong. I feel silly for having used all that time to go to the clinic (and for having scared you, mom!) but the mission doctor was worried and told me to go. I suppose it was something that the Lord wanted me to do. Perhaps it was so that the ear doctor, who just happened to be Jewish, could clear up his misconception about the "polygamist" Mormons (haha), or so we could come across a less-active member on the bus who had just moved to Macul. I don't really know why all this came to pass, but I know that I can trust in my Heavenly Father's wisdom and my Savior´s power to heal.
Hna. Taylor came to Macul with me, and I think she taught me more than I taught her. She is the most "Preach My Gospel"-based missionary that I know. She does all that's humanly possible to talk to everyone, offer service, and ask for referrals. She extends commitments, asks questions, uses the Book of Mormon to teach the restored gospel, and prays constantly. Her example uplifts me and inspries me to be better.
We're happy to announce that on Feb. 27th (my year-mark!) Eduardo Donoso will be baptized! He is the father of a recent convert. Eduardo suffered a stroke 3 years ago which stole his ability to read, write, and say more than a few simple words. Although he can't express himself verbally, his attendance in church and his giant smile tells us he wants to receive the blessings of the Gospel. His daugther and his wife help us to understand his questions and feelings. For a while, his wife Eliana fought against letting him go to church, etc., but as she has listened to our lessons, too, her heart has warmed up to the Gospel and asked us to keep teaching Eduardo until we have to leave Chile. Aww:) This is a very special family.
Also, Betty and her granddaughter, Dariela, are preparing to be baptized March 2nd! Betty wasn't sure about it for a long time....we fasted that she would receive a sure answer. During Stake Conference Elder Cook (via satellite) mentioned the requirements for baptism found in D&C 20:27. Betty leaned overto whisper, "And I'm going to be baptized on March 2nd, right? And Dari, too?"
"Sí!!!!" I said. That small comment, to me, was an answer to our prayers and an affirmation that Betty has made the firm decision to follow the Savior's example and be baptized in order to enter into his kingdom.:)
For Valentine's I made a cake and a few cards and that was it. Here, V-day is strictly for dating or married couples.
I'm grateful for the many investigators with which we've been blessed these past two months. They say everyone leaves Stgo in the summer, but from the begining I've said that all those who would hear the gospel would remain in the city, and it's proving to be true. Alma 32 teaches us that the sick, poor, and afflicted are humbled and prepared for the gospel. And these are they who cannot go on vacation! Thus, the summer is perfect for preaching. :)
What the Spirit taught me this week:
-Serving others helps me invite the Spirit, forget about my own problems, and feel my Father in Heaven nearby.
-It's good to give gifts.
-The riches of this world are deafenly appealing. Stay focused on what matters most.
-Matthew 14: Christ loves us so very much. Even on what could have been one of his hardest days, he taught and healed and blessed. Would I do the same?
-When people say they're looking for something "bigger than themselves," they're really just searching for the Holy Ghost, the Spirit of God, the "Filler-upper." Who can you share the gospel with this week?
Love,
Hermana Sharp
No comments:
Post a Comment