Saturday, July 20, 2013

Hola!


Hola a todos! 

My new companion (my "daughter," as you say, although she is three months older than me) is Hermana Hunter from Boise, Idaho, fresh from the Chile MTC. I consider it a sacred responsibility to not only teach her the ropes of the mission field, but to really fortify her Spanish as well. I knew all those Spanish classes I took would be worth it one day:) And I know that the gift of tongues makes it possible for me to talk with and teach my Chilean brothers and sisters. This week I've noticed a miraculous increase in my ability to understand the language (partly because I'm paying more attention since I don't have Hna. Camargo to explain what someone said, but mostly because the Lord is qualifying whom He has called.) Hna. Hunter boldly approaches every and any person on the street, and then all I have to do is open my mouth and the Spirit helps me preach, bear testimony, and invite others to hear more. It's not easy to begin a conversation, but once the ice is broken--literally, porque es invierno aquì--the fact that we are all spirit brothers and sisters can't be denied. 

Training has presented me with the opportunity to increase in charity, faith, obedience, and diligence. Hna. Hunter reminds me to pray, to love, and to remain humble. 

Fast Sundays are my favorite day of the month. Francisco made it to church (in a suit, even!) and he's excited to start preparing names to take to the temple a week or two after his baptism. His enthusiasm for family history work is inspiring, and it strengthens my testimony that we are responsible for the salvation of our kindred dead. I know the temple is the house of the Lord, and I miss being able to go every week. "You are never far from home as long as you can see the temple." I've hung up five more pictures in the temple in our apartment:) 

Guillermo also blessed the sacrament, and I teared up seeing the fruits of our labors--his spiritual progression--and my heart was full as I considered the truthfulness of this Church. 

Jimena also came to church, along with Andrea, a less-active member who we encountered by miracle. Her address was incorrect in the  ward list, and for that everyone had forgotten about her. But this is how we found her...We felt prompted to surprise-visit Jimena on Friday. We talked outside, and a neighbor passed and said, "I've been waiting for you, missionaries!" Huh??? Jimena told us he is a member so we knocked on his apartment door. He and his wife immediately invited us in for cake! The Moras have two houses and technically are part of the ward near the coast, so we had no idea they lived here, too. But Brother Mora immediately started talking about how he shares the gospel with his neighbors (including Jimena!) and he took us to Andrea. All she needed was an invitation to come back to church! And look what happened, she came back to the fold:) 

Miracles are happening in Ñuñoa (thanks to Hna. Hunter, I know). What miracles can you see in your daily lives? With whom have you shared the gospel? 

Always Learning, 
Hermana Sharp

P.S. Fun fact: There are three members in the ward that share my birthday, including the Bishop, and it just so happens that we are going to have a ward activity that day, the 26th:) Feliz Cumpleaños! 

No comments:

Post a Comment