Hna. Hunter's faith has been working miracles here in Ñuñoa 1! She extended the baptismal invitation to Francisco so that we could set another baptismal date. The Spirit was so sweet in that moment, and he accepted to be baptized this Saturday, the 20th. Also, Hna. Hunter made a connection with a less-active man, Javier, whom we had not been able to contact until this week. We taught him about the Restoration, and we were able to trade off teaching much smoother than in previous lessons. There was a notable difference in the Spirit when compared to lessons where I had dominated too much in the teaching aspect. I trust in Hna. Hunter's teaching skills, and she is gaining confidence as we practice in our studies and on the street. (My Spanish has gone down in quality a bit because now I speak English probably too much with her...we're working on speaking more.)
Other less-active members are also making progress. Nora is finally stopping smoking and is excited to pay tithing when she receives her paycheck this week. Andrea, who came to church last week, exstatically served us lunch this week, and is begining to read the Book of Mormon again.
Daniela (15 yrs, investigator) attended the Stake Youth Camp this week. She says that as soon as she pays off the debt she acquired by purchasing a Justin Bieber concert ticket, then she will stop working on Sundays and come to church. :)
Spoke with an atheist man in the street. In the past, once someone told me they didn't beleive in God I didn't know what to say. But this time I felt the Spirit giving me confidence to keep talking even after he said he didn't want a pass-along card. I tried to follow Aaron's example (Alma 22) and asked him why he didn't believe, how he thought all the wonderful things around us had been created, and bore my testimony that God really is our Heavenly Father. That I believe that the world isn't just an accident of evolution. And that we have a greater purpose here on earth. I don't know what will come of this conversation, but I do hope my words will echo in his ears until he realizes that there is a God who loves His children.
I would like to testify that Heavenly Father answers our prayers, no matter how small. All of our plans fell through on Friday night, and it was cold and we needed a bathroom quite badly. We passed a member's house, but no one was home. Continued a bit, sat on a bench to pray and ask for comfort. We also asked that we might be able to find a bathroom...The situation was desperate! We made an unsure plan, stood, and then Hna. Hunter said "Let's return to the Reyes family," the house where no one was home. Ok, so we went in faith. And what do you know, Carla opened the door and cheerfully received us. Her bright attitude lifted us up and she gladly let us use the bathroom!:) A simple miracle, but I do beleive that it only came to pass because we had prayed and asked. Pedid, y recibireis. Llamad, y se os abrira.
We've been trying harder to make sure our lessons aren't longer than 45 minutes (to be obedient to the mission rules--it's hard because there is so much to teach and people like to talk!), but it has resulted in the ability to have more lessons at the end of the day. However, we need to find more investigators who will actually progress towards baptism. This week our goal is to continue searching for the Lord's prepared children. One tactic we are trying is drawing the plan of salvation by bus stops. People rubber-neck a bit as they drive past, but two gringas walking the street in long dresses calls attention anyway. So why not teach at the same time?:)
I have made so many friends among the ward members, the other missionaries, and the people in my area that I never feel alone. I love the people, and often forget that my hair isn't black and my eyes aren't brown.
With Renewed Faith,
Hermana Sharp
The favorite spread here is "Manjar". I realized you can make it by doing the following--Boil a can of condensed milk for 45 minutes. Then flip it over (so the top is now on the bottom) and boil for another 45 minutes. Let it cool a bit, and you have Manjar! It's delicious on toast, cookies, apples, or just about anything. Have it for a family home evening treat!
No comments:
Post a Comment