Daniela received the Holy Ghost yesterday! But her mom, Jimena, informed us that she, personally, decided not to get baptized...we need to investigate more and help her gain her own testimony of the Church. We planned to have a new-member lesson with Francisco this Thursday in Cancino's house, and guess who also happened to be there? Daniela! She and Titi Cancino were practicing learning scripture mastery, so they both joined us and we had a large-group-family-plus-two-new-members lesson about enduring to the end and serving in the Church. The joy I felt as we all laughed and shared filled my heart with warmth. We talked about Francisco's experiences with sharing the gospel (Out of the blue he asked his co-workers "Do you beleive in God?" and started a gospel discussion) and Daniela's personal choice to stop swearing although all her friends were doing so. What changes the gospel can make in one's life!
Diego, a 22 year old inactive 7th Day Adventist, accepted our invitation to eat Once at the Gomez's house. At first he wasn't home at the right time, but we prayed and waited and prayed and prayed, and after the trial of our faith he arrived and eagerly came with us. The Lord hears and answers prayers! He had many questions about our beliefs, and it was a bit overwhelming, but we have faith that tonight in our second lesson he will be able to feel the Spirit testify to him of the truthfulness of the message. And then, one day, he will become a missionary, too.:)
This week has reminded me of Pres. Eyring's April 2012 conference address, where he quoted President Kimball, saying, “There are great challenges ahead of us, giant opportunities to be met. I welcome that exciting prospect and feel to say to the Lord, humbly, ‘Give me this mountain,’ give me these challenges."
I know the Lord hears even our unspoken prayers, because He is giving me the mountains I had only thought about asking for...situations that I only thought I'd have to face in MTC practices: Investigators deciding not to get baptized, others who ask us more questions than we have the language skills to answer, constantly-ill less-active members, recent converts often outside of Santiago, rainy days that yeild zero new investigators, and a bit of friction in our companionship...
Although I know this all sounds like normal missionary life and the Lord has a solution for each difficulty, the patience He is requiring of me is proving to be a great mountain to climb. So it's tough...Yet I have not lost the ability to see good, to see miracles, and to see the divinity of the work. I know He keeps His promises, I know it will all be worth it, and I know that the adversary is no match for the Christ. I've been humbled, taught, and blessed this beyond words this week--and even as I've written this letter.
P.S. We had transfers today, but I'm staying in Ñuñoa 1, finishing up the training of Hermana Hunter.:) I'm glad, because I love this ward and all the people in it.
Today Hna. Johansson, who's been living with us for the past two months, went home home. It's weird to think that her mission has ended, but I still have a year left:) I'm grateful for the time Heavenly Father has given me, because not only does it take a lot of practice and learning to become a good missionary, but we also have to be patient as the people make big changes in their lives in order to accept the gospel. I often want to teach everything at once so that our investigators can be Mormons in one week! But it's not that easy. (They have to come to church at least 3 sundays before baptism, for example, and even then they don't come three in a row...) I have to have a lot of patience and faith!
Read Alma 19:23. I know your prayers are keeping me safe, sound, and happy. Thanks:)
Also, thanks for inviting the missionaries over for dinner! I love eating with the members, and I am so so grateful for all they do for us. Be friends with the missionaries, they need it:)
Love,
Hermana Sharp
No comments:
Post a Comment