First, did you watch the "Because of Him" video? Now check out jesuschrist.lds.org if you haven't seen it yet.
Second, it's story time:
Yasna was baptized!!!
Yasna stood to share her experience during Gospel Principles class on Sunday. Whereas before her baptism she never could honestly say, "Estoy bien," (I'm good) she said it as part of her testimony yesterday. She really feels like she has been born again, and she immediately recognized the gift of the Holy Ghost after she was confirmed. Everyone in the ward loves her.
During her baptism, she bore her testimony and she called us angels. I nearly cried because Alma 26: 3 became part of my life. Yasna had been "in darkness, yea, even in the darkest abyss, but behold,(she has been) brought to behold the marvelous light of God!And this is the blessing which hath been bestowed upon us, tat we have been made binstruments in the hands of God to bring about this great work."
... At home that night I felt prompted to open my old journal. I found that in April 2013--about the same time that Yasna fell into her depression--I had written, "Bring them hope, Sister Sharp. Be an angel."
Little did I know that 8 months later, in December, the first week after I was transferred to Macul, I would find Yasna--the one who needed an angel.
The Lord is in the details, for not only was the scripture fulfilled but my journal entry as well.
...
This week we went first with Yasna, and later with Betty and Dariela, to tour the temple. What a beautiful and precious opportunity to be close to the Lord's house. Yasna felt peace when we entered the foyer of the temple, and Dariela (8 years old) hugged my arm and whispered "Le quiero," which, being interpreted is "I love you!"
....
I'm grateful for the free food we receive every day. It's a lot. Tuesday. three different people gave us green apples. Also, Betty (recent convert) makes us eat dinner with her after we teach. She can't stop talking about her growing addiction to reading books related with the gospel. Thanks to Daughter in My Kingdom she decided to start wearing skirts to church:) Nora and Vilma are less-active members from Austria--they fed us lentils with a giant delicious bread-meat-ball in the middle while we helped them with their geneology. Another day,Sonia in the shop where we make photocopies gave us free sandwiches.
Basically the only person who didn't give us something to eat was the Jehova's witness missionary lady who approached us from behind while we studied on a bench outside. She told us that she had thought, "I'm going to talk to these girls about God!..." but then she saw who we were and found herself in a very uncomfortable position. Hahaha, I've never felt so proud of my nametag before. What a perfect proof that WE have the authority to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We didn't need to say much and she left rather quickly.
In other news, Pedro, 45, finally came to church, and we found a 14 year old Tamara whom we've now taught two times. Luis accompanied us to teach a 19 year old, Diego, the second lesson, too. And sister Guillermina came to church for the first time in more than 10 years. Yay!!! The Lord is STILL hastening His work. It's miraculous.:)
I know the Church is true. The Book of Mormon is the word of God. And Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer. He loves us, and I love Him.
Love,
Sister Sharp :)
Two simple acts.
Due to our decreasing number of progressing investigators, I've been tempted many times to fall to the ground in a hopeless heap of skirts and scriptures. And I've done so.
But I didn't give up. I took advantage of the situation to pray harder than I've ever prayed and to immerse myself in the Book of Mormon like it was my only hope. And it worked, because the Savior came along, took my hand, and lifted me up again.
"All He really asks of you is to pray and read the scriptures. That's all He really asks," said Sister Holland last year, and such a phrase has been my saving grace. I know Christ lives and loves me. I love Him, so I'll continue on in His service.
Love,
Sister Sharp
"3 Nephi 14:7 Ask and ye shall receive"
This is one of the theme scriptures for my mission. It is so true! For example: I prayed hard for a new investigator, and as we went to visit a less active member, she wasn't home. I felt like we might as well knock on the neighbor's door, so we walked to the doorbell. Before I lifted my hand to ring it a man emerged from the side gate and immediately said, "I'm interested in the church." We have a return appointment tonight, so we'll see how it goes.:)
Also, we were teaching Marcelo late at night and after the lesson we desperately needed a taxi in order to return home on time. I prayed in my heart, and had to wait patiently with faith, but soon the taxi came. The Lord is good and He hears our prayers.
I know my Savior loves me and I love Him.
Until Mother's Day,
No comments:
Post a Comment