Monday, June 16, 2014

Wonderous Weather


This week the weather was in our favor. 

It rained. All day Wednesday. And many of our appointments fell through. Hna. Godfrey came to Macul with me on an exchange that day, and she was a trooper even despite her soaking boots and our lack of an umbrella. Luckily the people had compassion on us. Eliana, Eduardo Donoso`s wife, blow dried our wet hair when we went to visit Eduardo.

Betty, a new investigator who hasn-t had time to receive us, also felt bad making us stand out in the rain, so she let us in and gave us herbal tea. The whole situation with her was a miracle; one of those typical yet beautiful mission stories. She answered the door in her pijamas, ready to go to bed. But we talked to her for a moment, and soon she broke out in tears and told us that the following day was the one year anniversary of her late husbands death. I gave her a hug and she invited us in. We were instruments in the Lords hands as we taught her of the plan of salvation. Her 13 year old son, Alejandro, also listened with open ears and wide eyes. Alejandro and his father had actually listened to the Elders a few years ago. Their family is really close with a less-active part-member family across the street, so we-re hopeful for their progress. Betty was so touched by Alma 40:12 that she said, "I want to post this on Facebook."

Have YOU posted your favorite scripture on Facebook??

If the picture turns out good, that-s me, Hna. Millet and Hna. Godfrey here on exchanges, and Hna. Allred. It was a once-in-a-mission-time occurrence that we were all gringas. We spoke broken English just because there was no one there that didnt understand. 

Saturday night we finally had another ward mission activity. Mauricio, our 24 year old leader, put together a few Mormon Messages that we showed and discussed as the basis of the actiivity. At first only 4 of Hna. Allred-s investigators showed up, but in the knick of time, Betty Alvarez and Dariela, recent converts, arrived along with Bettys daughter, grandson, niece, and her niece-s daughter. The activity room filled right up!​ What a miralcle. The Spirit was energizing, and the bishop was impressed that people actually came to the activity. Next time we just need a few members to come as well. 

Insert: This is a typical personal pizza that might be served at a party or ward activity. Pizzeta, its called.

​What a joy it is to see Sister Guillermina Castro return to the Church. No one knew she was in our ward! She hadnt had contact with the Church for 6 years, despite the fact that she is a member since her youth and she has a strong testimony and understanding of the Gospel. She was a teacher in the school the Church funded here in Santiago years and years ago. Edna Valenzuela, with the white hair, was Guillermina`s student!! We brought them together, and they were overwhelmed with joy to see each other again after so many years. Guillermina returned to Church and found that at least four other members of our ward had been her students! What a happy reunion. 

​This is Olga, the maid who we visit once a week. She lives in the center of Santiago on the weekends so she cant be baptized in our ward, but her roommate doesn-t let the missionaries visit her there, so we teach her here in Macul. Shes from Peru and is going to have a baby in June. 

Final miracle to tell today: We thought we would pass by a young man we had contacted months ago. He wasn`t home, but his drunk brother was and I enjoyed calling him to repentance. Ha, he won`t remember anything I said, most likely. But the point is that as we walked away, the nieghbor`s puppy followed us! He followed us so far that I knew we needed to turn around a return him to his home. The young owner thanked us and said we could come back the next week to teach her the Gospel! God works in mysterious ways. He`s answering our prayers for more new investigators. 

Overall, this week I`ve learned that I need to have patience in all things and be Christlike. That`s basically the answer for every problem. Be like Christ. 

I know He lives, and I love him. So why wouldn`t I try to follow His example?

I love you all. Have a wonderful week. Look for a little joy and you will find a great deal of it in unexpected places.

Love,
Hermana Sharp

P.S. I saw this giant porcelain potter in someones yard and asked to take a picture. Its about four feet high, and I thought Dad might like it as an idea for something to make and sell. Its hollow in the center. 

No comments:

Post a Comment