It rained for three days, so cold that it snowed in some parts of Santiago. Rainboots were necessary. The streets are dangerous when they turn into rivers and there's nowhere to hide from the gigantic splashes of the passing city busses.
A miracle happened: We passed by a less-active family's house, and their non-member, 22 year old daughter, Karrent, was outside, crying. At first she didn't want to talk to us, but we stayed at the gate and she eventually let us in and told us all about her heartbreak. We gave her the Book of Mormon and set a return appointment. When we returned, it was raining and no one answered the door. Then we called and Karrent let us in. She had read the Book of Mormon (Mosiah 4 and Alma 40), and had felt the positive effects it had on her. The words (and the Spirit) calmed her aching heart and helped her be more positive, she said. She told us she had wanted a new and interesting book for her birthday a month ago, but no one gave her a book. Until we did. We taught her how to pray about the Book, and she accepted a baptismal invitation! I'm excited to see her life change.:)
My last Zone Conference was awesome. I had studied the great apostasy the day before, and President just happened to teach a lot about the same topic during the conference! I learned that the great apostasy actually was caused by corruption within the Church instead of outside ridicule. We have to follow the current prophets and leaders if we are to avoid personal apostasy.
Also, President chose our table of six Sisters to go up on stage and demonstrate how to teach converts to study the scriptures. In a unprepared panic, we each drew sticks and it was our luck that my companion and I were to be the missionaries and the other four were the converts. Ok. The Spirit helped us even in this practice lesson...so I said to my companion at the end, "If we can teach a lesson in front of 60 missionaries and President Wright then we can teach any lesson that comes our way!!"
The World Cup is huge here, so much so that when Chile plays everyone gets off work to watch it. We've been told to not even try to proselyte during those hours, but to study instead.
Wednesday we gathered as East and North Santiago missions to meet with Elder Lyn G. Robbins of the 70. He answered our questions and told us that the mission is the best University in the world. We can learn things here that no school could ever teach us. It's true.
As we took the crowded bus home, it was great to see ourselves and 4 other companionships all talking with people on the bus and sharing the gospel as the rain began to fall.
The highlight of the week was my yearly trip to the temple! What a surprise it was to hear that the Paez Castro family was going to be sealed on Saturday!!!!! Alicia was a less-active member in Ñuñoa, my first ward. While I was there last year she came back to church and her husband, Luis, was baptized (with the other Sister missionaries in the ward, but I saw him be baptized!) Later, we began to visit him so I got to know them better (long story.) In the end, I left Ñuñoa to come here to Macul, and this week I got a phone call inviting me to their sealing! Definitely. I went with other Sisters who had served or who are serving in Ñuñoa, and felt at home in the temple again:)
I felt the power of the priesthood as I witnessed a sealing for the first time, and my testimony of eternal families was strengthened.
For all who read this, please go to the temple this week!
Love,
Sister Sharp
No comments:
Post a Comment